Hi 3 weeks ago my one year old broke our

Patient

Q: Hi 3 weeks ago my one year old broke our in a rash,I took him to the doctor they said it was a viral infection since then it has only gotten worse. And this is three weeks later and now they are. Telling me its an allergic reaction but the meds they gave him didn't clear him up. I'm very worried. Please help

Doctor

A:   Hi.

The rash in a year old child can be due to he following reasons:
- Viral causing is called viral exanthema, this is self-limiting meaning heals on its own, no medicines work; but usually clears in 1 to 3 weeks, does not stay back for 3 weeks hence ruled out.
- Allergic reactions- will have a history of a contact with allergen of some food material or so, usually caused by the preservatives in many foods and beverages.
- Atopic dermatitis, this is the commonest form seen in a year old and local / oral steroids only can cure it.
This again is self-limiting and comes and goes, usually stops coming back after the age of 4 to 6 years.

Give Multivitamins and helps in recovery.
Consult a Dermatologist for proper diagnosis and treatment.

You can apply Lacto-calamine or caladryl is available in your area.

Hope this helps you.