Hi, apparently i am suffering from chronical prostatitis
apparently i am suffering from chronical prostatitis at least the last 7 years, i had various treatments, at least 5-6 with mainly tavanic which seemed to be working. Anyway, middle of last December, the symptoms presented again (mainly pain on my testicles), i have done an urine culture and a sperm culture and both of them identify the e coli. The doctor prescribe me tavanic 500mg once per day for a month. After conclusion of the therapy and 10 days later i have done the same exams, urine and sperm culture and unfortunately e coli was still there. I spent 1,5 months by using only cranberry and D mannose and i was without symptoms at all! after that, to make sure that e coli was still there i have done a very specific exam by checking my prostatic fluid and again urine culture and e coli was again there. As such my doctor prescribe me now ciproxin for 2 months, i am at the end of the second week and after urination i have always a pain on my urethra and my testicle, this symptom i use not to have it at all with tavanic. My questions is weather i need to change the therapy and instant of ciproxin to use tavanic or something else (both of them were sensitive on the culture and have been recommended), and if yes weather this can happened or i cannot change a therapy with another medicine when i am in the middle of this one. In addition because we are trying with my wife to have babys, 3 doctors told us that we can try even if i am on treatment with ciproxin and there is no problem at all (2 are urologist, one specialized on infections) and 2 that we should not try at all till the treatment is finished (one urologist and one neurologist), frankly we dont know what do, since my wife is also 40 years old and we know that is if essence. Kindly advice on both above questions
Symptoms: Pain after urine on my testicles and urethra
Thanks for your query.
Read your history in details and understood your concerns.
This looks to be a long lasting problem for which you have taken almost all the steps necessary.
Before I answer your questions I would like to know a few additional information:
- Was your wife examined by a Gynecologist, treated for any infection like vaginitis or so? Was anytime a concurrent treatment also given to your wife?
- What are the reports of per-rectal digital examination, ultrasonography or MRI for genito-urinary system and for prostate in particular?
- Were/are there any other antibiotics active against E coli as per the reports of culture and sensitivity?
- It is important to find the reason why you are getting recurrent infections for so long.
To answer your queries:-
- Whether i need to change the therapy and instant of ciproxin to use tavanic or something else ?
> This will depend upon whether you are having results in the form of clinical improvements and the tests which you are doing. It is better to take the full course as prostatitis by its nature needs long treatment of antibiotics. An additional antibiotic may be started as per the reports or the clinical evaluation done by the Urologist or so.
and if yes weather this can happened or i cannot change a therapy with another medicine when i am in the middle of this one:
> You can add on an antibiotic as per the reports or the clinical results and under the care and prescription of a Doctor.
Whether to go ahead or wait for a baby when you are on Cipro?
> It is always better to wait for a few more weeks and allow your condition to improve and you be without any medication. The effects of an antibiotic on the sperms is not very well understood/studied. Hence better to wait.
I hope, this answers your queries and please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
These Q&A’s are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.