Hi doctor, I am a 21 year old female. I had unsafe sex.

Patient

Q: Hi doctor, I am a 21 year old female. Just last month I had unprotected sex with a new sex partner. About a week after doing so I performed oral sex on him, we did not have sex though. The night I performed oral sex on him he was very restless that night like he was becoming sick, and he told me he was not feeling well. The very next day I developed a sore throat and went out with my friends. I was sharing a drink with my one friend (girl) and then very next day she also became sick. All of our symptoms included swollen tonsils with white spots, fevers, ulcers on the inside of the mouth and one ulcer on the lip but it was almost on the inside though you could see half of the ulcer when mouth was closed. At first I thought it was strep so I gotten tested and it came back negative. Then I believed it was herpes and the doctor said if anything maybe the coxsackie virus which isn't oral herpes. Well doctor, the first time I got tested for strep they treated me with amoxicillin anyways. 3x a day for ten days. I had a yeast infection before starting the medication by the 7th day of the antibiotic my yeast infection was very bad I remeber itching a lot at night. The next day I got a very hot shower. When I had gotten out of the shower I was wiping away my discharge "down there". Well as I was wiping my vaginal opening there were two white spots that were flat and white almost like two little ulcers but they felt more like a scabs. They did not hurt what so ever even when touched. I started to panic, I called my gyno and got in the very next hour. He said they don't really appear to be herpes if they don't hurt he said they might have been from scratching. Also i did not have swollen glands down there. He cultured them and I went home. The next day I looked down there again and they were completely gone! Like I never had that happened to me no scars or anything! My culture of the "lesions"(2) came back negative along with all of the other tests they also did. Though, I am very worried this might be herpies still. I don't understand this happening to me and I wonder if I should get bloodwork done. I heard the first outbreak of herpes is so painful, I didn't have any pain. And I always take a look down there all of the time and I only noticed having those for one day and then they dissapeared, what do you think this was doctor? Thank you, and I apologize how long this is.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for asking a health question on ATDand also for the nice description provided.

Well, given the test findings, an attempt to correlate the symptoms with an STI proves invalid. One point of caution, however, the antibody test panels may give different results over time. Please discuss with your healthcare provider about a complete STD panel and repeat antibody titres. Please do not suffer from imaginary fears even if the test results are reassuring!

Hope this helps.