Hi Doctor I have been having bouts of depression over the

Q: Hi Doctor.

I have been having bouts of depression over the past 3 years.. I quit my job and im staying home.
I dont have any hope of my life getting better. Nothing interests me anymore.
I think the major reason for my depression has been my breakup and the untimely death of my beloved pet cat who was more of a child to me.
I do not know how to keep going in life. My life is at a standstill but i'm not suicidal.
I have visited a psychologist who said that I might need help from a psychiatrist. But i feel like its not going to help.
Im scared of medication that might be involved.
yes I have periods where im ecstatic and cheerful.. but it soon turns into heavy emotional trauma too.
i write in my journal and it helps sometimes. i dont have many friends and I dont have a confidant.
I usually talk to myself in my head and cry uncontrollably until it goes away.
I dont know if this will ever end.