Hi doctor I was rearranging furniture last night and this

Q: Hi doctor. I was rearranging furniture last night and this morning woke up with pain in my back. Lower left side ( gluteus area). I am travelling next Sunday by car for a golfing weekend so what can I do to try and relieve pain. Thank you.

A:   Hello
Thank you for posting your query at ATD for an opinion.

You are having acute lower back sprain which typically requires a muscle relaxant to break the cycle of pain and spasm. Since muscle relaxant is not available OTC, you can take OTC available analgesics for pain relief and apply analgesic gel to the local area.

Hot fomentation, massage, and bed rest are also effective in relieving muscle spasm. Avoid lifting weights, pulling or pushing heavy weights.

These methods can take care of the spasm but will take a week to 10 days,may be less depending upon the intensity of spasm. For quick and lasting relief muscle relaxant are recommended.
Feel free to discuss further.

Patient: Doctor I have a prescription for Valium 5 mg for when I fly (6) in total. Could I take some of these to ease the muscle sprain also.
Doctor: Valium is diazepam. It will help in relieving muscle spasm. You should also try other methods as mentioned in my previous answer along with valium.