Hi Doctor, I've been just diagnosed with a D12 compression fracture,

Patient

Q: Hi Doctor,

I've been just diagnosed with a D12 compression fracture, had a car crash last night where my car was sandwitched between two cars. I'm a 30 year old male. The doctors say it might need surgery where he will bolt some screws on.

I've had a similar car crash back in 2010, where I was diagnosed a L2 compression fracture. I wore a brace for some months. Went on to doing some back strengthing exercises at the gym and was okay. Didn't opt for a surgery. Had it also checked this time and that bit has healed now.

I'm not very keen on the surgery, as I have heard from lot of people who have gone through it that it keeps coming back.

Please advise, need a second opinion.

Thank you

Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.

Read and understood your history and the findings.
D 12 compression fracture due to car accident yesterday and L2 compression fracture in 2010.
Surgery or no Surgery in this situation depends upon many factors.
- Actual MRI and CT scan findings.
- Its correlation with the clinical findings.
- The problems you are facing.
- Age and sex of the patient.
- Any neurological deficits present or not at the moment or is expected in future as you already have 2 accidents with compression fractures of tow different vertebra in the lower back at different times.

For this I would advise you the best thing:
Always go for 2 opinions; one of the Orthopedic Surgeon who is operating spine and a Neurosurgeon too.
If both of them are suggesting for surgery, go for it. If both are differing go for 3 rd opinion and go by majority.
In the meantime have regular follow-up. Take proper care as advised and take proper medicines.

I hope this answer helps you in decision-making.