Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi doctor my mother aged 57 had last year had a blood transfusion

Hi doctor my mother aged 57 had last year had a blood transfusion

Patient: Hi doctor .. my mother aged 57 had last year blood transfusion of 2 unit after severe chest pain through out 1 week (though she use to had mild pain since years but never found any heart disease in tests ) when found haemoglobin at approx 7 . All ecg n other heart test was normal. She is patient of chronic lever disease , diabetic also.Now she again started feeling severe chest pain once or twice a day or night since last 1 week.heamoglobin test found is at 8.8 which is same since last 2 month . Please suggest as she has become week as since long she dont feel eating n eat very less though we try to giv her juices and other vit b12 iron rich fruit , food etc but she dont feel eating all time….kindly suggest best cure or if blood tranfusion requires at this level as last night she had severe chest pain twice for half an hour and use to get mild pain frequently 3 to 4 times a day…

Doctor: Hello.Welcome to Ask The Doctor.I understand your concern.Since she is a diabetic, she should be evaluated for C ardiac Chest Pain.The Cardiac chest pain is severe and crushing in nature. It increases with activity like walking, exercising. It also radiated to left arm.In such scenario, I would advise an ECG and a Chest X-ray. This will give an idea that pain is cardiac in nature or not.If the ECG and Chest Xray are normal, the pain is probably Muscular or due to Acid reflux.For acid reflux, I would advise you to take a combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone once a day.I suppose, you should get evaluation done for Anginal pains.I would advise you following:1. Treadmill Test2. ECHO.If any abnormality is found, then an angiography should be performed.For her Chronic Anemia, she should be evaluated.Following investigations are required:1. Serum Creatinine2. Iron studies3. Vitamin B12 Levels.4. Stool for occult blood.Share my opinion with your Doctor.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy