Hi Due to contraceptive failure I had to take i

Patient

Q: Hi. Due to contraceptive failure I had to take i pill last night but I also took Senna tablet 3-4 hours before taking the pill. I'm worried if I have reduced the effectiveness of the pill because of the laxative tablet. Will I have to take the pill again?

Doctor

A:   Hi,

Usually, laxatives may not affect the efficacy of emergency contraceptive pill.
Senna acts by irritating the intestinal mucosa and leading to laxative effect. It may not affect the transit time of tablets taken after 3 to 4 hours of taking it.
So, you may not need another pill.

Take care.