Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi i am 17 and i have been experiencing tightness in my throat.

Hi i am 17 and i have been experiencing tightness in my throat.

Patient: Hi i am 17 and i have been experiencing tightness in my throat i can still breath but its constricted. it is hard to swallow and i’m haven’t been told that i have any allergy.

Symptoms: Head ace tightness of throat

Doctor: Hello welcome to ATDYour main complaint is difficulty in swallowing this is called as dysphagiaIt can be due toCo nnective tissue disorders such as scleroderma, polymyositis, dermatomyositisEsophageal spasmGastroesophageal reflux disorderEsophagitisPlummer Vinson syndrome.Although the connective tissue disorders are the commonest and present with multiple systemic symptoms but dysphagia can itself can be the presenting symptom.If you are not having pain in chest or your muscles or any body rash then polymyositis, dermatomyositis and esophageal spasm is virtually ruled out.For other probable causes clinical examination is required as they cannot be ruled out from history alone.My recommendation is to visit a local physician for a primary examination to look for clinical signs to confirm or refute the provisional diagnosis.Feel free to discuss further.Regards