Hi, I am 18 years old and pretty active

Patient : Hi, I am 18 years old and pretty active. For the last couple weeks I've been getting numbness that kind of hurts right below my knee. The numbness stays for about 2 minutes and happens randomly. Just tonight I felt the same numbness up the front of my thigh. Is this something I should be concerned about and make a quick appointment?
Doctor :   Thank you for writing to ATD. Numbness below the knee can occur in injury. Since you are active, it is possible that you got injured. When you get injured, you may have damaged a nerve. When injured, you develop a swelling. The swelling will cause numbness because the nerve is compressed by the swelling. To treat the injury to some extent, you can ice the area. Icing the area will reduce the swelling. Once the swelling is less, the numbness around the knee will reduce. If the numbness does not go away after 2 days, talk to a Doctor. I hope this helps you. All the best.