September 21, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi I am 19 week pregnant and through ultrasound the cervical

Hi I am 19 week pregnant and through ultrasound the cervical

Patient: HiI am 19 week pregnant and through ultrasound the cervical length was found to be 3.6 cm but doctor checked it through finger and it was seen to be 2cm.Should i go for cervical surgery and doea this assure, the baby would not be premature.

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.By clinical examination cervical length up to internal os m ay not be measured.Cervical length measurement by transvaginal ultrasound gives a better calculation of length.If cervical length measured by TVS is more than 3cms with internal os closed, you may not need a cervical stitch.If the length is less than 3cms with internal os open, better to go for cervical stitch with your doctor’s advice.Take care.