Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi i am 19 years old i have a 10 month old son

Hi i am 19 years old i have a 10 month old son

Patient: Hi i am 19 years old i have a 10 month old son my last period was on March 29th i been taking pregnancy tests all are negative but he and his dad think im pregnant and my periods are normal usually please help thank you

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to ATD,The concern about missing one’s periods and associating it with pregnancy is n atural but once the pregnancy tests are negative, it’s completely ruled out. The possible cause of your delay in menses can be the fact that you may still be breastfeeding your 10-month-old child which can cause prolactin levels to rise and hence suppress progesterone withdrawal leading to menses.Other possible reason, if you are not breastfeeding and you last 3 menses have been regular then this may be associated with stress-related hormonal imbalances which are known to delay menses. In that case, you may undergo an ultrasound pelvis to check for endometrial thickness which if more than 10mm, then you may opt for a withdrawal bleed with progestins which shall allow your menses to resume naturally.Please visit your physician for an exam and evaluation.I hope I have answered your query in detail,Wishing you good health,Regards