Hi! I am 21 years old and a female I

Patient

Q: Hi! I am 21 years old and a female. I have had a stabbing, cramp like pain between the ribs directly below my right breast. The pain as radiated up to my right clavicle and is intensified with deep breaths. Short, shallow breaths and being slightly bent over are the only thing that seems to decrease pain, but I am still aware of it. What might be wrong with me?

Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.

Noted the history of stabbing, cramp like pain between the ribs directly below right breast. The pain as radiated up to right clavicle and is intensified with deep breaths in 21 years old female.
Short, shallow breaths and being slightly bent over are the only thing that seems to decrease pain.

The most probable cause looks to be severe costochondritis.
This can be confirmed by a clinical examination by a General surgeon and investigations like X-ray chest are done to rule out any internal problems.

Once confirmed the treatment is directed to reduce the inflammation.
Stress and anxiety have a role in such problems.

Other probable causes of inflammation of the lungs and /or pleura are also looked for.