Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi i am 25 years old, male, and i am

Hi i am 25 years old, male, and i am

Patient: Hi. i am 25 years old, male, and i am having problems with abscesses , specially under my axles, and on my right shin for about 1 and half year. i was in treatment with antibiotics several time and it kills it, but it is always coming back. my question; i am competing in 3 weeks in a kick boxing fight and i have to be free from abscesses till then, right now i have no abscesses, but can i take antibiotic or anything else just to prevent it. i know that antibiotic is not for prevention, but could i just take it in my special case. thanks in advance !

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for posting your query at ATD.I understand your concern regarding recurrence of abscess, but takin g antibiotics for preventive purposes will not help to prevent the recurrence of access. Secondly, it will increase chances of antibiotic resistance and the drug will lose its activity against the microbes and will render the drug ineffective for its future use.Keep the axillary region clean using soap and water, avoid using talcum powder as it clogs the sweat pore.I wish you good health.Kindly revert back in case of doubts. Feel free to discuss further.Regards

Patient: thank you . what about the axle hair. should i shave them off , or should i leave them long. and also is there any medicine available for preventing abscesses , at least for the next 3 weeks till the big day? thanks in advance.

Doctor: Hello
Shaving hair causes microabrasion on the skin surface leading to proliferation of micobes in the wounds and leading to infection. You can clip your axillary hair using a trimmer. Keep yourself clean and take healthy foods avoid processed foods, take plenty of proteins, green leafy vegetables, and include citrus fruits, honey, and garlic cloves in your diet. These measures boost natural immunity and helps in preventing infection. There is no preventive medication for your case.
Wish you good health and good luck for the game ahead.