Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi I am a 13 year old girl with chest pain

Hi I am a 13 year old girl with chest pain

Patient: Hi. I am a 13 year old girl & I have been experiencing sharp chest pain on the back. It lasts a couple of seconds. Is it heart disease? Hear failure? Heart attack? I’m really scared.

Doctor: HelloThanks for using “Ask The Doctor” for posting your query.Normal heart conditions cause pain in the front and at your age the heart causing such problems is very rare. Coming to the common conditions that can cause such a problem are :1) Gastro esophageal reflux disease2) Vertebral problems.The first one occurs due to excess acidity causing re flux of acid into the food pipe causing an aching pain.This requires treatment with anti-acid medications like ranitidine or rabeprazole etc.The other condition is due to the problems of vertebra causing compression of the nerves lying in between. This can be confirmed by getting an MRI scan of the spine done. This will show up the vertebral defect if there is any. The treatment many with rest, exercise and painkillers and muscle relaxant medicines.Do meet your doctor and discuss these options.Hope this helps,Wish you a good health