Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi! I am a 16 year old female and have shoulder and chest pain

Hi! I am a 16 year old female and have shoulder and chest pain

Patient: Hi! I am a 16 year old female and a couple days ago i was walking in a mall and I started to feel bad shoulder pain and then it radiated to myneck and then my chest. Today is the second day and I feel a lot better but when I take normal breathes my chest feels funny. is this related to my heart? thank you!

Doctor: Hi.Thanks for your query.You have not mentioned whether the pain was on left or right or both sides.Well, the sh oulder pains radiating to the neck and then to the chest in a young girl of 16 can be due to muscle spasms of the neck, stress or anxiety as the most common cause, Heart being the least common at your age.Now also you have funny chest on breathing.If the symptoms recur, it is better to get a check up done from a Doctor just to confirm the diagnosis.I hope this answer helps you.