Hi, I am a 29 year old male and I

Patient : Hi, I am a 29 year old male and I was tested with high ALT it was 50 and now it's 34 but ultrasound test don't show any abnormalities on my liver.I am set for another check up in 4 months but I am just wondering if ALT goes high and low by nature with out being liver is damaged.}
Doctor :   Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you. Yes your liver enzymes are raised which requires evaluatio n of the cause. Most common causes of such liver derangement's are Alcohol, Viral hepatitis, Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, Drugs. Since you don't consume any alcohol, so alcohol induced hepatitis is ruled out. Fluvoxamine can cause liver dysfunction, but is not a classical drug to be blamed directly. So, we should evaluate the other causes, and if no other cause is found, you would require to discuss with your doctor about stopping this drug. I would advise you to get following investigations done: 1. HBsAg for Hepatitis B. 2. Anti-HCV Antibody for Hepatitis C. 3. Ultrasound Abdomen. A lot many times, the liver dysfunction is due to Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD). So, if you have any evidence of fatty liver in Ultrasound and your other tests are negative, this rise is liver enzyme would be attributed to NAFLD. For this you need to reduce your weight, reduce fat in diet and if required your doctor may prescribe you Ursodeoxycholic Acid for the same. Make sure that you don't take any pain killers without your doctor's advice. I hope it helps. Stay Healthy