Hi, I am a 30 year old male, Basically my

Patient

Q: Hi, I am a 30 year old male,
Basically my problem is that when I urinate the tip of my penis burns intensely.
I went to see my gp and he thinks it's herpes and gave me aciclovir to take 5 times a day for 5 days. The course has now finished and the pain is just the same.
I have two lumps in my groin area and a red rash along both sides of my groin and under my bump cheeks
Today I have noticed my urethra is sticky and I have to pull it apart to urinate.
I have not been diagnosed with herpes I was wondering do you think it could be something else?

Doctor

Thank you for your queue at AskTheDoctor.com
The bumps and the rash is typical of herpes, but the urethra getting sticky could be indicative of a bacterial infection too like chlamydia or gonorrhoea.

Along with the anti viral medicine, you would also need to start an antibiotic course like Doxycycline 100 mg twice daily for a week, and the symptoms should settle down.. Besides that a whole STI panel would be helpful to diagnose the exact condition.

Regards.

Patient: Thankyou for your speedy response.
I am struggling to understand how I have come into contract the herpes virus.
I do not sleep around and I had one girlfriend for five years and we were both Virgins at the time and my now wife who was also a Virgin when I married her. I was tested for stds once I had finished with my ex and the tests had come back negative at that time.
This only started last week I was training heavily for a half marathon which I have now completed.
Do you think that would have anything to do with the symptoms that are showing?
Doctor: Okay have you been tested recently for herpes? Without confirming through blood test, we can't give a diagnosis of herpes.. Even UTI can cause discharge from the urethra.
Patient: I have been given a test for herpes but the doctor said it will take two weeks for the results in the mean time I have to take the aciclovir tablets five times a day which have now finished
He test for a urine infection and that came back as clear.
Should I go back to the gp to discuss the issue or should I wait for the results to come back first?
This is the first time this has happened to me.
Doctor: No, let us wait for the herpes results. Because from your history there is no indication of herpes.
So, let us wait for the results and review.