Hi I am a 40 year old male good health

Patient

Q: Hi. I am a 40 year old male good health other than hypochondria/anxiety. A few days ago, 3 to be exact i noticed my stools are a different shade. A lighter golden/yellow brown. And have had yellow on toilet paper when wipe.I have had a head cold with post nasal drip since then. Stool the day prior was dark brown. Usually my stool are dark brown and or green. Green quite often which ive had for 10 years plus. I was told it was green from fast transit time. Anyway ive been really stressed about it which doesnt help. Worried about pancreas/gall bladder. As a note i did have full panel bloodwork done 6 months ago for something else and all was good. Any help appreciated.

Doctor

A:   Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you.

Your history is suggestive of Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Such variations and color of stools is seen in IBS only particularly when your blood investigations are normal. So, if there had been any gall bladder issues, it would have shown in Liver Function test.

Moreover, Obstructive Jaundice due to Gall bladder issues has clay colored stools and not yellowish. You should get Thyroid Profile, Fasting Blood Sugar,Ultrasound Abdomen, if not done yet. If all investigations are normal, then you are probably suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I would advise in such scenario to take a proton pump inhibitor like Pantoprazole and Rabeprazole, which will help in neutralizing any acid if you have in stomach.

In case you have any associated constipation, then you would require to take Prokinetic agents like Levosulpride. You should avoid fat and pepper in diet and should take Smooth Muscle Relaxant like Mebeverine for stomach pain, in case you have. In refractory cases drugs like chlordiazepoxide and clidinium bromide can be used, if the condition is not responding.

This is my best opinion for you based on the available details. If you have any further query, feel free to ask me.
I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy

Patient: So the picture looked ok?
Doctor: Hi. I have not received any picture in case you are talking about any photograph. If you mean the picture of your case, then it seems IBS to me.
Good Luck.
Patient: Also is the bloodwork 6 months ago suffice? My blood sugar was 97 but i was under extreme stress and anxiety in the er so they said was normal
Patient: I attached a picture to initial post
Doctor: See your doctor and share my opinion, i suppose he will agree and start you on treatment for IBS.
Good Luck.