Hi, I am concerned that my alternating sleeping patterns may

Patient

Q: Hi,
I am concerned that my alternating sleeping patterns may have a long term effect on my health. I work 2 nights a week and study the rest. I prepare myself for the shift by staying up 2 nights before till early morning, this way i don't have an issue of feeling tired or sleepy during work hours. The biggest problem is getting back to normal sleep patterns after i finish the night shift. I normally will sleep 1.5 hrs during the day and then hold off till night. By the middle to end of week i am repeating the cycle. I tried once to just go and do night duty without preparing my body but i felt so tired and lethargic if my job wasn't so on the go i may have fallen asleep. The 2 days ,after the shift are the worst.

Doctor