Hi, I am having the symptoms of a UTI, well only the burning sensation.

Patient

Q: Hi, I am having the symptoms of a UTI, well only the burning sensation. This is the third time I had it in about 3 months, ive been to the doctor and they prescribed me the antibiotics that will clear it but it never seems to fully go away and always come back. I drink lots of water proberly more than I should and I drink cranberry juice aswell. Nothing seems to work!
Could there be something else wrong with me or what can I do?

Doctor

Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com
UTI ( Urinary Tract Infection ) has become extremely common nowadays and due to widespread antibiotic usage without doing culture sensitivity has led to a lot of resistance resulting in the delay in recovery.
You need to get the urine culture done and find out what antibiotic the organism is sensitive too. For this, you first need to stop all antibiotics at least for 2 weeks, which will let the organism grow. Once you have a 2 week free antibiotic gap, get your urine culture done from the morning stream which will have enough bacteria to be picked up easily.

Based on that, appropriate antibiotics can be given and it will definitely help you. I will advise you continue the antibiotics for 2-3 weeks depending on the severity.

Some good choice antibiotics in such resistance UTI cases are Cotrimoxazole ( TMP-SMX ), Nitrofurantoin, Doxycycline, e.t.c
The physician can prescribe you either of these antibiotics.

Hope this was helpful,
Regards.