Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi, I believe my finger may be partially dislocated Ther

Hi, I believe my finger may be partially dislocated Ther

Patient: Hi, I believe my finger may be partially dislocated.There was initial swelling about a week ago when it happened but I don’t believe it is swollen anymore. It has only been a few days since it happened, but I read online that it is difficult to reset after it has been out of place for a while. I’d like to know if this can be reset or if it may just be swelling. I do feel that it is dislocated and I was just curious as to how much a doctor can help at this point and in what ways.There is a picture for reference here: http://imgur.com/lE9tk3YThanks so much

Symptoms: Pain

Hi, I believe my finger may...-1

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.Your finger does not look dislocated to me. It is possible that there is a slight maluni on present. The only way to be absolutely sure is to get an x-ray.See a Doctor to get an x-ray. A malunion occurs when the bones after an injury or fracture do not grow back in the right way. If the malunion is mild, it is better to leave it. Treatment of a malunion is sometimes to break the fracture again and allow it to heal which is not always advisable.Hope this helps you.