Hi, I believe my finger may be partially dislocated Ther


Q: Hi, I believe my finger may be partially dislocated.

There was initial swelling about a week ago when it happened but I don't believe it is swollen anymore. It has only been a few days since it happened, but I read online that it is difficult to reset after it has been out of place for a while. I'd like to know if this can be reset or if it may just be swelling. I do feel that it is dislocated and I was just curious as to how much a doctor can help at this point and in what ways.

There is a picture for reference here: http://imgur.com/lE9tk3Y

Thanks so much

Symptoms:  Pain
Hi, I believe my finger may...-1

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

Your finger does not look dislocated to me. It is possible that there is a slight malunion present. The only way to be absolutely sure is to get an x-ray.

See a Doctor to get an x-ray. A malunion occurs when the bones after an injury or fracture do not grow back in the right way. If the malunion is mild, it is better to leave it. Treatment of a malunion is sometimes to break the fracture again and allow it to heal which is not always advisable.

Hope this helps you.

Related Q&A

Q: Hi doc , i did my first boxing class today i am a 35 years old female , fit after i finished my class i felt some pai...

Q: I fell off the bed trying to step on the night stand to hang a picture. It all happened so quickly, i fell with the ...

Q: I was playing beach soccer, and my big toe popped out of the socket. I rested for a month, then I slowly started run...

Q: Got kicked in the shin bone with studs/cleats during a soccer game and now is very painful when pressure is released ...

Q: I am a HS senior and injured my non throwing shoulder during football and it still hurts only when I try to swing a b...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon