Ask The Doctor » Questions & Answers » Hi, I had a question about alcohol I have a close

Hi, I had a question about alcohol I have a close

Patient: Hi,I had a question about alcohol. I have a close friend who drinks once in a month or one and a half months. But when he drinks he binge drinks. He has about 8 to 10 small pegs over the day easily. He doesnot seem to be affected by it. As in he never pukes or blackouts or misbehaves or is out of control.Will his health be affected by it ? He used to smoke before but has completely stopped now. He is 25.

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor.I am glad to see your love and care for your friend.Binge drinking is not at all a good habit. In fact we as a doctor don’t discourage once a while drinking but that should not be binge drinking.If we compare drinking lesser amounts like just 30 ml a day with binge drinking of 8-10 pegs that is around 300 ml at a time then definitely consumption of lesser amounts daily is more safe.Binge drinking can cause Alcoholic hepatitis, Acute Pancreatitis, Sudden accidents or mishappenings.So I would advise you to discuss this with him and promote him for not drinking.You should promote him not to drink as binge.Ask him to get his liver function tests anf Ultrasound Abdomen done to rule out any evidence of Liver Dysfunction.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy.

Patient: Thanks a lot for the answer. Also, what is the life expectancy of a person with very mild hemophilia? A few years back he had a knee fracture and has a rodding done in his left leg. Will this have any negative effect in the future?

Doctor: Hello,
Free follow up is for the related question only. If you have any unrelated question, you may post again the query with all relevant details.
Good Luck.