Hi I had sex with an escort on 19/11/2015 I

Patient

Q: Hi I had sex with an escort on 19/11/2015. I used a condom and was hardly inside for 2 mins. I am worried about HIV and have booked for a STI screening on the 27th. I think I would undergo a rapid antibody test as I was told that I would get the result in 10 mins. Is the period long enough to get reliable or do I have reasons to be worried?

Symptoms:  None, occasionally feel like clearing my throat but its not sore
Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.
Noted your history of having sex with an escort on 19/11/2015.
You had used condom and was hardly inside for 2 minutes.

First of all, please remember that if the condom was not broken, your chances of getting any STD including HIV is very very less.
Secondly, 8 days is a small period of getting any tests positive, as the window period is 3 to 4 weeks for rapid antibodies to show positive.
Hence, there is no point in getting the STI screening so early.
It is better to wait for about 2 more weeks before you go for tests.
It is already 5 days and if you have no symptoms of any sort, just relax, stop worrying and get the tests done after more than 2 weeks.
Rapid antibody tests give results within 10 minutes but it takes more than 2 to 3 weeks for the antibody to be developed by the body. (antibody is produced by the body in response to antigen (virus) that enters the body). This is also called a window period.
Please understand that once the blood is removed to test, this test will give results within 10 minutes. But it takes about 3 weeks for the blood to develop enough number of antibodies to be developed by the body to be detectable. These two things are different

If the tests are negative, you may get a repeat test after 3 months to be sure about it.

You have noted the only symptoms of occasional feeling like clearing your throat but that too it is not sure.
Hence please stop worrying.
Come out of the guilt that worries more than the actual infection.
The fear of getting STI is more than actually getting it.

I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you need to or if you feel that
there is a gap of communication.