Hi! I had unprotected sex last October 9, 12, 13, and 14, 2016.

Patient : Hi! I had unprotected sex last October 9, 12, 13, and 14, 2016. All of which without penetration, just rubbing but im not quite sure if some of his semen came in contact with the opening of my vagina. My last LMP is October 9, which means we had sex during my period until the last day. Is it possible im pregnant? I bought pregnancy test kit and oral pills (diane 35) today. Would you recommend me to take diane now and will it help prevent pregnancy? And when do you suggest for me to use the pregnancy test kit? Thanks so much.
Doctor :   Hello, Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion, As you were menstruating during your sexual contact days, you w ere in your safe period and hence no chances of pregnancy even if you have had an intercourse. You may start Diane 35 from day 5 itself now, if you wish to be on birth control, but Diane will not act as an emergency contraceptive pill. The earliest test which one can perform after sex to rule out pregnancy is after 8 days post sex with a serum beta hcg test. If the hcg levels are less than 3mIU, then you are surely not pregnant. I hope i have answered your query in detail, Wishing you safe sexual practices, Regards

Patient: Hi! Thanks. Another question though, i have read in a lot of websites that it is possible to get pregnant even without penetration and even during menstruation. Is this true? That's why i was so scared about getting pregnant and im confused cause they say its possible if you have a 24 day cycle. Previously i had 28 day cycle then after that, the recent is only 24 days.

And also, i bought the home pregnancy test kit. Would you recommend me use it 8 days post sex also? Cause i think serum PT is accurate even when taken early but im not sure about the urine dipstick type of PT. And lastly also, if I take Diane 35 now 9 days past my LMP, will it delay my next period or no? Thanks so much.
Doctor: Sex during menstruation cannot get you pregnant as you dont have an ovum released yet to fertilize by the sperm. So sperm lives for 72 hrs and in absence of ovulation, it just disintegrate with time. Secondly, in rare cases pregnancies have been recorded even when there was an ejaculate over thighs, so such cases are rare.
Nextly, urine pregnancy test kit would not be sensitive untill 8 days post your next missed period, hence not advisable.
Lastly, from 9th day , you should not take diane now, instead practice barrier contraception through out this cycle.