Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi, I had unprotected sex with a woman of unknown

Hi, I had unprotected sex with a woman of unknown

Patient: Hi, I had unprotected sex with a woman of unknown status 3 months ago, and within the last four days I had a small red/pink flaky spot that was barely visible on my penis shaft that rapidly turned to a circular ulcer with a white/yellowish base. It doesn’t really hurt and two doctors said it looks like syphillis and I was treated with the shot and given a blood test for stds.My question is this,1) Does syphilis take 3 months to appear? I was under the impression it shows much sooner than that.2) I had protected sex with my wife 3 days prior to seeing any lesion or spot at all. Before I put the condom on we rubbed our genitals together for a breif period. With no lesion visible what are the chances I might have infected her with syphilis? Thanks for your help.



Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,The incubation period is the time between exposure to a disease and the first symptom. A skin sore called a chancre is usually the first symptom of sexually transmitted syphilis. A chancre appears between 3 weeks to 3 months after a person has been infected with syphilis. So the sore that appeared was a chancre and evident that you were infected . Also as you have had sex with your wife 3 days prior to appearance of lesion, there are all chances that you may have infected your wife. So please get your wife also tested for syphilis.I hope i have answered your query in detail,Wishing you good health,Regards



Comments / Follow Ups

Patient: Ok, I was under the impression that one would have to come into direct contact with an open syphilis lesion for it to spread? If there was no lesion is it still able to infect someone?
Can syphilis penetrate a condom?

Doctor: The syphilis spirochaete cannot penetrate condom but the fact that you both rubbed genitals, the presence of premium or even the prepuce mucousa can act as a source of syphilis spirochaete.


Ask The Doctor
    Ask The Doctor
Dr. Jimmy Obaji M.D.

Dr. Jimmy Obaji M.D.

Dr. Jimmy Obaji completed his residency in Family Medicine at the University of Manitoba. He currently operates a walk-in-clinic in downtown Toronto.

Book Appointment