Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi, I have a cold sore and it is in the scabbing stage.

Hi, I have a cold sore and it is in the scabbing stage.

Patient: Hi,I have a cold sore and it is in the scabbing stage. I only had a cold sore once before in my life which was about a year ago. This time while its in the scabbing stage 4 tiny new bumps have just appeared and I have been using over the counter medicine. Are the 4 tiny bumps going to turn into cold sores too?

Hi,  I have a cold sore and...-1

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to ask the doctor.I understand your concern.I have seen the attached pic also.As per details, it seems that you are suffering from a condition called Herpes labialis.It is a viral infection of the skin caused by Human herpesvirus.Herpes labialis is a highly recurring condition which is characterised by grouped fluid filled lesions limited to one side of face near lips usually.In such cases, I prefer to advise oral antivirals within 72 hours of eruption.You may apply topical antibiotic cream like mupirocin 2 percent over the affected area.Avoid touching the bumps.You can share my opinion with your doctor.I hope it helps.Take care.