Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi, I have been on the birth control pill for

Hi, I have been on the birth control pill for

Patient: Hi, I have been on the birth control pill for several years and take it on time, rarely missing a pill. I am on the combined pill, 21 days on and 7 days off. I finished my 21 pack on Saturday morning for this cycle – however, had unprotected sex with my boyfriend Sunday evening. Should I still be protected or should I take morning after pill?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.If you used all the 21 pills without missing, you can have contraceptive protection during the pill-free week also.So, you may not need emergency contraception.If you missed any pill especially in last two weeks, better to go for emergency pill.Take care.