Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi I have been trying to conceive for a few months

Hi I have been trying to conceive for a few months

Patient: Hi I have been trying to conceive for a few months now and not been successful. I have been trying on my fertile week this month and my ovulation day. I’m due on my peroid this Friday. Last night I was in pain with back ach and cramps. When I went to the loo today I noticed a very small pin prick of blood on the tissue and had none since. It’s too early for my peroid as I have said. So I took a test today and got a negative. Could this be implantation bleed because of the pain and aches last night and a spot of blood or my peroid coming ?? But when I start my peroid I never have that I useualy have brown dishcharge a day before. I have never experienced the spot if you want to call it and I have been pregnant in that past.im confused as it said negative today. Thanks.

Doctor: Hello.Thanks for the query.Firstly a urine pregnancy test is not sensitive before the menses are missed and they are bound to give a negative result. The best form of testing after a week of intercourse or to substantiate an implantation bleed is the blood serum beta hCG test which checks for the levels of HCG, which is a hormone released from the embryonal attachment to uterus. If the levels are more than 1, then pregnancy is confirmed and then the spotting you have experienced is most likely to be an implantation bleed. But if the levels are less than 1, pregnancy is ruled out completely and likely that you are experiencing your menses sooner and this is an indication of progesterone withdrawal setting in earlier possibly due to stress to conceive itself, which may have caused and earlier imbalance.I hope I have answered your query in detail,Wishing you good health.Regards