Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi, I have had a lump just to the left

Hi, I have had a lump just to the left

Patient: Hi, I have had a lump just to the left of the areola (not on) on my right breast for about a month. It’s started off looking like a pimple with broken skin at the top. 2 weeks ago the center became a dark purple color and appeared to be getting larger in size. This past week it has started becoming tender, the whole breast is tender, the lump has started to bleed and the skin around the lump is starting to take on a dimpled texture and looks like there is a bit of a rash. I am 22 years old. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to ask the doctor.As per details, the most likely possibility for your symptoms is a condition of sk in called Furunculosis.It is Bacterial infection of skin involving the hair follicle and surrounding areas.In such cases, I prefer to advise topical antibiotic cream like mupirocin 2 percent over the affected area.If severe, oral antibiotics are also given like cloxacillin.Visit your doctor so that he can examine you and give you prescription accordingly.You can share my opinion with him.I hope it helps.Stay healthy