Hi, i have had a post nasal drip for the

Q: Hi, i have had a post nasal drip for the last few days and i can barely sleep because when i lie down i have to cough and clear my throat from the drainage. What treatments would you recommend for me to get some relief ?

A:   Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you. Post Nasal Drip is mostly a complication of Allergic Rhinitis or Chronic Sinusitis. It is treatable but you have to keep patience. Since the symptoms are troublesome most people loose confidence in the ongoing treatment and change it.

First of all you need to get a X-Ray Para nasal sinuses done. If they show Sinusitis you would require treatment of Sinusitis.

I advise following in such scenario:
1. To take a combination of anti allergic , anti histaminic Levocetrizine and Montelukast.
2. Do steam inhalation Daly at least 3-4 times a day.
3. If you have any acid reflux take a combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone as acid reflux Also aggravates post nasal drip and cough.
4. In case of troublesome coughing, Benzonanate pears helps greatly.
5. In people who don't respond to all these measures we give them intranasal spray containing Fluticasone For short course. It gives an immense response.
Once you are started on these measures you will start getting relief in 5-7 days but good response would be seen only after 2 weeks.

Share my opinion with your doctor.
I hope it helps.
If you have any further query, please ask me.
Stay Healthy.