Hi, I have had a sore throat for a week

Patient

Q: Hi, I have had a sore throat for a week now and the last 4 days a blocked now both blocked and runny nose and a cough which is chesty and hot flushes

Doctor

Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com

Normally all respiratory infections start as a viral infection, with the patients manifesting throat pain and nasal congestion. It can progress to superadded bacterial infection, needing antibiotic therapy.
In this case with a sore throat persisting over a week, you need to confirm the diagnosis or URTI (Upper Respiratory Tract Infection) and start an appropriate antibiotic course. A good choice antibiotic would be Cap. Augmentin 625 mg (Amoxicillin + Clavulanic Acid), twice daily for 5-7 days. Additionally, you also need an antihistaminic like Tab. Levocetirizine 5 mg once daily for 3 days at bedtime. This will reduce your nasal congestion. Try steam inhalation, 2-3 times daily, as it helps in draining the trapped secretions and reducing the infection quickly.

Hope this was helpful.
Regards.