Hi I have inflamed lungs caused by hay fever Essentially as

Patient : Hi. I have inflamed lungs caused by hay fever. Essentially asthma. I have been given prednisolone for the problem but what prefer not to take. My question is, does an inflammation of the lungs caused by pollen eventually go down naturally. It's been 10 days now.
Symptoms:  Coughing. Struggling to breathe,
Doctor :   HI. Thanks for your query, short and very specific; wants to know whether the inflammation of the lungs caused by polle n eventually go down naturally. I have read you history and understood your concerns about not willing to use Prednisolone for asthma. It has been 10 days now. My thoughts: Hay fever is a severe allergic reaction giving you inflamed lungs, asthma. This is essentially treated with an antihistamine, steroids in oral or topical form (as Spray) and bronchodilators as needed. Steroid are best avoided in the following conditions: - Long term use without tapering. - Diabetes. - other problems like water retention, edema over the body. Certainly, if the dose of the allergens is reduced and/or the reaction of the body is reduced, the inflammation of the lungs caused by the pollen will eventually go down naturally. The antihistamine also works. You may ask for topical, means in the spray form of steroids which practically do have very minimal amount of steroid and does not cause any general side effects. I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Patient: Thanks. So basically, when you have inflammation of something like the lungs caused by a specific thing eg pollen, that inflammation should naturally ease in time. The point I am getting at. Is inflammation just the body fighting the invader. Basically, I would like the inflammation to go down naturally and will put up with not being able to breathe etc if I have confidence that inflammation is just the bodies defence, like a scab. That will go
Doctor: Ideally yes, the inflammation is well controlled by the body mechanisms. By giving the medicines we assist in early and faster recovery. But to remind you of the situations wherein the body's defense mechanisms are not sufficient to control, medical management is a must.
Hence it is always the thin line in between the natural process taking care of allergen and inflammation going down naturally and the need of medication.
This is decided by the patient by uncontrolled symptoms and by clinical evaluation by the Clinician whether you need the particular medication at that given time or not. One should not stick to the pre-formed ideas and go for proper medication whenever needed.
Once the body's adaptive mechanisms take over, one may not need medication. This way most of the children who have asthma in childhood rarely need medication once they get older.
This can be achieved by balanced diet, exercises, Yoga and such immunity boosting measure.

I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
Patient: Thank you. So there is no real way of knowing if your body can " handle it" or not but the hope is it will. Thank you. I will try and do without the steroids but will take if I am still bad/ still bad in another 1 week. That will be 2.5 weeks.
Doctor: Thanks for your appreciation and a thought to give the body a chance to have self control.The way to know is as discussed above: your symptoms, severity, dose of allergen and clinical evaluation by your Doctor. Have regular review.
But it is my humble request that you will start steroids if are of dire need. Not much of a risk to be taken.
Take care.
All the best.