Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi I have stopped having sexual intercourse with my partner

Hi I have stopped having sexual intercourse with my partner

Patient: Hi I have stopped having sexual intercourse with my partner since last night, when am I ok to stop taking the birth control pills?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.If you are seeking any emergency contraception, then you must take the birth control p ills immediately. This should be done under doctor supervision and not by yourself as dose repeatation and dose modulation is needed.If you want to take it as a birth control pill you must start it on second day of your cycle and continue until 21 days or continuously depending on whether you want a monthly cycle everytime or not.This ahs many side effects including heavy and irregular bleeding.Hope this helpedFeel free to write back in case of anu clarifications.Regards