Hi i have suffered with hypothyroidism for a number of years now

Q: Hi i have suffered with hypothyroidism for a number of years now and take 150mcg of levothyroxine daily. IM due to start my next cycle of ivf in a couple of weeks this time using my frozen embryos. So this time its obviously a different protocol with different medication in due to have a pro stap injection which I've read suppresses the pituitary gland . Is this safe for me and will it affect my thyroid function. And should i have my thyroid medication increased if i fall pregnant? If so how many weeks? Ad my last pregnancy with ivf it wasn't increased and i had a missed miscarriage at 12 weeks

A:   Hi,

I can understand your concern here.
Yes, prostat injection suppresses the pituitary gland and decrease the release of LH and FSH which will further suppress ovulation.
Yes, it will affect thyroid function.
Thyroid hormone requirement increase during pregnancy, so if you will get pregnant get your thyroid profile done and increase the doses according to the report.
You should get your thyroid profile every month and maintain your TSH below 2.5. for a healthy pregnancy.

Hope it was useful.