Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi I have taken 2 pills twice this month

Hi I have taken 2 pills twice this month

Patient: Hi I have taken p2 pills twice this month,on the 15th and 23rd…I had unprotected sex on the 25th…Is it possible to prevent pregnancy and What options do I have?

Doctor: Hello,thanks for the query.Postinor-2 is an oral emergency contraceptive. It can help to prevent a pregnancy if t aken within 72 hours (3 days) of unprotected sex. It is more effective the sooner it is taken following unprotected sex. Postinor-2 should only be used as an emergency measure. Emergency contraceptives like Postinor-2 are not for use as a regular method of contraception because of the increased possibility of failure compared to other methods of contraception. After taking Postinor-2, you should use another method of contraception(condoms or cap plus spermicide) or not to have sex until your next period.Ideally both the pills should be taken with a gap less than 12 hours apart and sex should not be performed after taking the pill or you should be using an added barrier contraception. But in your case you took the pills way apart and haven’t got your withdrawal bleed either and also had unprotected sex on 25th. It is suggested that , considering that your chances of pregnancy are high, if you don’t resume your menses in a week then please get a blood serum beta hCG test to confirm or rule out pregnancy for sure.I hope I have answered your query in detail.Wishing you good health.Regards