Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi, I just finished my last menstrual cycle last Friday

Hi, I just finished my last menstrual cycle last Friday

Patient: Hi, I just finished my last menstrual cycle last Friday. My boyfriend and I had birth control failure and I took the take action (plan b) pill on Saturday. Last night I started bleeding again and still am. I’m extremely worried.

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.The possibility of pregnancy is less in your case as occurr ence of ovulation immediately after completion of periods is not common and as you took emergency contraceptive pill within 24 hours.The second episode of bleeding you got could be due to the withdrawal effect of emergency pill. And may subside soon.If bleeding persists for more than 4 to 5 days, better to consult your doctor and take antifibrinolytic drugs to control the bleeding.Take care