Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi, I just had a surgical abortion about a day

Hi, I just had a surgical abortion about a day

Patient: Hi, I just had a surgical abortion about a day ago. And recently about right now, my stomach is really bloated and it looks as if I were pregnant. I wanted to know if this is normal and how long would this bloatedness last?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Because of the medicines used during and after surgical aborti on, some amount of bloating sensation can be experienced, this may decrease in few days.After abortion it will take some time for the uterus to come to its original size, usually it may take around two to three weeks.But it may vary with the gestational age at which abortion occurred.Take care.