Hi! I just started with antibiotics, Augmentin 500

Patient

Q: Hi!

I just started with antibiotics, Augmentin 500, i have been taken it for 2 days, i have 5 days left. 3 times a day.

My questions is if i can take my daily medicine, which is simvastatin 40mg.
I have heard the combination between statins and antibiotics are not good.

Can you please make that clear for me, thx

Doctor

Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com

You should go ahead and complete the course of Augmentin without worrying at all. Augmentin is a beta-lactamase inhibitor while Simvastatin is an HMG-CoA reductase enzyme inhibitor.
So both the medicines have very different mechanism of action and they do not interfere or react with each other.
Please do not worry.

Hope this was helpful.
Regards.