Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi! I just started with antibiotics, Augmentin 500

Hi! I just started with antibiotics, Augmentin 500

Patient: Hi!I just started with antibiotics, Augmentin 500, i have been taken it for 2 days, i have 5 days left. 3 times a day.My questions is if i can take my daily medicine, which is simvastatin 40mg.I have heard the combination between statins and antibiotics are not good.Can you please make that clear for me, thx

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.You should go ahead and complete the course of Augmentin without worrying at all. Augmentin is a beta-lactamase inhibitor while Simvastatin is an HMG-CoA reductase enzyme inhibitor.So both the medicines have very different mechanism of action and they do not interfere or react with each other.Please do not worry.Hope this was helpful.Regards.