Hi, I recently had sex the,day before my period

Patient

Q: Hi, I recently had sex the,day before my period and I didn't get it and I wasn't paying attention and I had sex 3-4 days before ovulation. I'm still late on my period I got some, cramping pain but that went away and then other day I smelled pancakes and it made me so sick to my stomach. Then,Wednesday I took a test at work and it was about 730pm and it read negative. But I still have a little stomach pain more like just a small discomfort and my breast are becoming sentivite. Am I pregnant or is there something wrong with me?

Doctor

A:   Hi,

As you had unprotected intercourse around the time of ovulation, there is some possibility of pregnancy.
Breast tenderness, pain abdomen etc symptoms can be seen in early pregnancy and also in the premenstrual phase.
Usually, urine pregnancy test kit can give an accurate result after one week of expected date of periods.
So, to rule out the possibility of pregnancy, better to repeat urine pregnancy test after one week or you can go for a blood test for pregnancy now.
If the test gives a negative result, the possibility of pregnancy is less and delay in your periods could be due to some other cause like gonadal hormonal imbalance due to stress and strain, lifestyle modifications etc.
In that case, you can take tablets to induce withdrawal bleeding with your Doctor's advice.

Take care. Hope this helps.