Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi, I smoked one cigarette last night (Sunday night) and

Hi, I smoked one cigarette last night (Sunday night) and

Patient: Hi, I smoked one cigarette last night (Sunday night) and I have a drug test (urine) on Tuesday, midday. They are going to check for nicotine, however that is the only cigarette I’ve ever smoked in my life. I’m 20 yrs old, about 6 foot, 160lbs, pretty high metabolism. Do you think I’ll be able to pass my test, I’ve been drinking extra water and orange juice. Thanks

Doctor: HelloWelcome to Ask The Doctor.This all depends on the quantity of Nicotine you have consumed and the sensitivity of the test that your laboratory would be using.Nicotine has a half-life of 1 to 2 hours. Cotinine is an active metabolite of nicotine that remains in the blood for 18 to 20 hours, making it easier to analyze due to its longer half-life.If you have taking heavy amount for long, this can persist in the body as cumulative dose and can be shown up in the tests.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy