Hi, I smoked one cigarette last night (Sunday night) and

Q: Hi, I smoked one cigarette last night (Sunday night) and I have a drug test (urine) on Tuesday, midday. They are going to check for nicotine, however that is the only cigarette I've ever smoked in my life. I'm 20 yrs old, about 6 foot, 160lbs, pretty high metabolism. Do you think I'll be able to pass my test, I've been drinking extra water and orange juice. Thanks

A:   Hello
Welcome to Ask The Doctor.

This all depends on the quantity of Nicotine you have consumed and the sensitivity of the test that your laboratory would be using.
Nicotine has a half-life of 1 to 2 hours. Cotinine is an active metabolite of nicotine that remains in the blood for 18 to 20 hours, making it easier to analyze due to its longer half-life.
If you have taking heavy amount for long, this can persist in the body as cumulative dose and can be shown up in the tests.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy