Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi. I think i have ED.

Hi. I think i have ED.

Patient: Hello im Nick, thank you for this amazing service.I am 25 years old, 6ft tall and 160lbs currently With no medications and dont smoke. I have had problems with soft erections/hard to maintain erections for 3 years not but in the last 5 months the problem has gotten worse: recently i cannot achieve any sort of real erection at all.My other conditions would be fairly bad acne on my body(less than my teen years but still there) and nothing else i can think of ,This is destroying an otherwise amazing relationship and I cant just let it keep “playing out” but i have no idea what is wrong.

Doctor: Thank you for writing to ATD.Erectile dysfunction(ED) is a common type of male sexual dysfunction. It is when a man has trouble getting or keeping an erection. ED becomes more common as you get older. But it’s not a natural part of aging. The most common causes of organic erectile dysfunction are vascular abnormalities, frequently associated with arteriosclerosis and diabetes mellitus. Others factors include neurologic diseases (Alzheimer’s disease, multiple sclerosis and spinal cord lesions), chronic systemic disorders (renal, hepatic and lung), oncologic diseases and pelvic irradiation. Some people have trouble speaking with their doctors about sex. But if you have ED, you should tell your Doctor. ED can be a sign of health problems. It may mean your blood vessels are clogged. It may mean you have nerve damage from diabetes. If you don’t see your doctor, these problems will go untreated. Your Doctor can offer several new treatments for ED. For many men, the answer is as simple as taking a pill. Getting more exercise, losing weight, or stopping smoking may also help.Hope this helps you.