Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi, I underwent a laparoscopic salpingectomy to remove my le

Hi, I underwent a laparoscopic salpingectomy to remove my le

Patient: Hi, I underwent a laparoscopic salpingectomy to remove my left tube exactly 1 week ago (21/04/2015) due to an ectopic pregnancy. Since I lost a lot of blood I now have anemia, and because of that, went to the ER yesterday following fainting episodes and lack of strength, where I spent the whole day doing exams. Everything is ok, except for a vaginal infection that I most probably contracted while in the hospital. Anyhow, the obgyn gave me some antibiotics and Flagyl eggs, to be inserted before sleep. Today I woke up with what seemed to be the beginning of my period, with some blood on my padds. It has a very bloody color, but it’s not bleeding heavily. Could this have something to do with the Flagyl eggs cleaning some remaining blood from the surgery? Is it something worth going to the ER again or should I wait and see if the bleeding stops?

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.Flagyl is a antimicrobial and it helps kill the microbes present. What you need to do is to see your Doctor because there is a small chance that you have a reactionary bleeding. It is bleeding secondary to infection or some other cause.See the surgeon to get the sutures checked. Hope this helps you.