Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi, I used the bathroom and I saw blood on the toilet paper

Hi, I used the bathroom and I saw blood on the toilet paper

Patient: Hi, I used the bathroom and I saw blood on the toilet paper after I pooped but I’m not on my period, is this something I should be worried about ?

Doctor: HelloWelcome to Ask The Doctor.Following are the possibilities:1. Hemorrhoids / Piles.2. Inflammatory bowel di sease3. Acute Dysentery.In such a scenario, I would advise you to see your doctor, who will perform a Proctoscopy in his office. If any evidence of piles is found you would be treated accordingly.If he feels suspicious for Inflammatory bowel disease, he will post you for Colonoscopy.Also, important here is that if you are having cramps, this might be some infection or dysentery. It is not necessary that it will always be associated with Loose stools. In such scenario, you would require antibiotics like Norfloxacin and Tinidazole.In case you are suffering from chronic constipation, you would require Laxatives to prevent piles.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy.