Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi, I wanted to know if it is safe for

Hi, I wanted to know if it is safe for

Patient: Hi, I wanted to know if it is safe for my wife and me to conceive a child in two and ha half month from now (76 days) after last use of cocaine? Is this enough time for my sperm to be clear. My wife did not take any, and I am not a regular user. Thank you.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,If you have been an irregular user of cocaine then a complete abs tinence from cocaine abuse should be at least 3 months as a spermatogenesis cycle is of 120 days and hence with complete abstinence from cocaine , fresh sperms can be produced after 3 months, which would be unaffected. So safe would be after 3 months and if you can avoid till 4 months , it would be best. Before trying to conceive a serum cocaine concentration test should be undertaken which shall give a definite idea about the blood levels of cocaine decisively.I hope i have answered your query in detail,Wishing you good health,Regards

Patient: So 76 days are too little time when I am not a regular user?

Doctor: yes , its less and hence minimum 3 months gap should be practiced.