Hi I was just wondering how I would know if I have a bruised rib

Patient: Hi I was just wondering how I would know if I had a bruised rib or if it just hurt for no reason at all?

Doctor: Hello.Welcome to Ask The Doctor.I understand your concern.A lot many times, you hit somewhere and realize the pa in later. So, this pain might be due to Muscular Pain.The Muscular chest pain aggravates with movement. It is dull, diffuse and continuous in nature.In such scenario, I would advise a Chest Xray. This will rule out any fracture there.I advise you to do hot fomentation over the involved area 3-4 times a day. You can apply Diclofenac Gel locally over the involved area. Anti inflammatory and analgesic pain killer like Ibuprofen, Etoricoxib can be taken if the pain is severe.On taking this treatment, this usually resolves in 5-7 days.Share my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy