Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi I’m 14 and I got my first period not

Hi I’m 14 and I got my first period not

Patient: Hi. I’m 14 and I got my first period not too long ago (8-9 months ago). It lasted for 2 weeks and has been irregular ever since. I have never gone more than 3 weeks without my period. It also varys from red to brown constantly. It will be red once then brown all of a sudden. Then be red and so on… It is really frustrating and I find myself crying a lot. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! I also really don’t want to go to the doctor but I think I am running out of options. Do you know what’s happening to me?!

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.During early months of menarche some amount of irregularity in periods can be seen due to causes like gonadal hormonal imbalance, polycystic ovary disease, thyroid hormonal imbalance, prolactin level changes, general conditions like anemia, diabetes, coagulation abnormalities etc.Usually menstrual cycles can regularize in few months after menarche. But as you are having irregular periods for around 8 to 9 months and losing more blood, better to get evaluated.Please consult your doctor, get examined and if she suggests go for investigations like complete blood picture, blood sugar levels, ultrasound, gonadal and thyroid hormonal profile etc.Then treatment can be planned accordingly.Take care.