Hi, I'm 14 Years old and a male I was given doxycycline

Patient

Q: Hi, I'm 14 Years old and a male. I was prescribed doxyxycline by my Dermatologist for skin problems however I read that taking that drug causes black thyroids and potentially thyroid cancer, is this true? I took doxyxyclone for 5 weeks

Doctor

Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com

There is no truth in the statement that Doxycycline causes black thyroid or thyroid cancer. It is a broad spectrum antibiotic and one of the commonest antibiotics prescribed all over.

So please do not worry. You should always take it with meals, as frequently patients complain of nausea, and vomiting sensation if taken empty stomach.

Hope this was helpful,
Regards.