Hi, I'm 14 years old and I had my tonsils

Q: Hi, I'm 14 years old and I had my tonsils taken out Wednesday, March 25th. It's been 10 days since then and I haven't gone poop since about 2 days before then. So in other words, I'm constipated. I was wondering if you would know why this is and how can I go poop again. Thank you.

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.

Read and understood your history of tonsillectomy on March 25. You have been constipated for long now.
This is usually due to the changed diet, fear, reduced water intake due to pain in the throat after tonsillectomy.
This can be helped by:
-Laxatives are usually taken at night.
- Paraffin suppository passed just before the routine time of your BM. This helps to loosen up the feces in the rectum for ease of passing. This will aid the passage of the BM.
- Plenty of oral fluids and high fiber diet as this is more than 10 days and I hope you must have started on a normal diet.
- Sitz bath if there is pain at the anus.

I hope this answer helps you.