Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi, I’m 16 (17 in July) And I’m 10 1/2 days late on my period . I’ve

Hi, I’m 16 (17 in July) And I’m 10 1/2 days late on my period . I’ve

Patient: Hi, I’m 16 (17 in July)And I’m 10 1/2 days late on my period . I’ve always had irregular periods but not this late. Well anyway, I’ve been having cramps (not bad but enough for me to get concirned .) for 4 days now and still no period , well everyone is telling me to take a pregnancy test & I really don’t want to buy one in my home town because everyone is in everyone’s business here and if it did come back positive my mom will more than likely have a breakdown . So basically my question is do you think I should buy a test? Or is everyone just kinda scaring me? Thanks ! 🙂

Symptoms: Very late period, and strange cramps.

Hi, I'm 16 (17 in July)  An...-1

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.Experiencing cramps and delayed period could mean two things. A premenstrual syndrome or an early pregnancy.If you have had an intercourse in the previous cycle, there is a chance of pregnancy. If you have not had an intercourse or have not been sexually active, then you need not do the pregnancy test. You may consult a gynecologist for an examination and investigations to rule out the causes for irregular cycles and delayed cycles. Thyroid disorders, anemia, nutritional deficiencies, obesity, stress, vitamin deficiencies, sudden weight loss or weight gain, polycystic ovaries, etc could all lead to delay in the cycles.The doctor will treat you accordingly with birth control pills or supplements. An ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis may be needed.Hope this was helpful.Regards